Beloved tells a story about poor, black people who used to be slaves. Sethe was a slave before and even after being free she was trapped in her own house being unwelcome from the community and haunted by all the memories of her past. She does not know what happened to her husband and the only thing she has is her children. Sethe loves her children so much that when white people come she kills her daughter to keep her “safe” from slavery comparing that kind of life with death. Cincinnati’s black community plays a crucial role in Morrison’s Beloved. Communities are complicated, it is not just a group of people living in one place. They help, accept and belong to each other. It is the community that betrayed the 124 and failed to warn them about the Schoolteacher approaching. Sethe, unable to hide, acts radically and kills her daughter. However, it is the same community that helped them to ban Beloved and prevent Sethe from making another mistake by killing Mr. Bodwin. Before ...
It is hard to say I had a positive reaction to the Bloodchild. It was weird and confusing as it was lacking exposition and I was trying to figure out which world I am at. I was asking myself if T’gatoi was human or not even after the phrase “T’Gatoi used four of her limbs” until maybe the talk about stinging which still did not clarify what exactly T’Gatoi is.. The talk about eggs in the beginning seemed normal and I thought they were just talking about nutritions until I realized what eggs they are talking about exactly. Having a bright imagination did not help me here as some of the scenes were very disgusting. The story ended almost the same way as it started, abruptly. It is hard to say that I enjoyed the story but in my opinion it was a good piece of this genre. Of course the humans being aliens in this world and being used by centipedes as hosts for their offsprings is a metaphor to black community feeling outsiders in this world. Gan being promised to T’Gatoi also re...
Comments
Post a Comment